This week, the Internet Marketing Conference held their 2 day event in Vancouver, British Columbia. Andrea Hadley is the Conference Director and she clearly knows what she is doing. During the event, TMMPDX.COM had the opportunity to interview Andrea and gain some insights on how the Internet Marketing Conference differentiates itself.
Day one kicked off with a keynote by Michael Tchong of Ubercool. We were lucky enough to interview Michael and he shared how marketers need to eye the future. Michael’s job is to catch the next wave before it catches you!
Digital Lifestyle – Marriage of Man and Machine
- The Ipad is redefining our medium. What is a letter? What is a newspaper? Things are changing quickly!
- Nearly 70% of kids, aged 2 to 5 can use a computer mouse. Only 11% can tie their shoes.
Time Compression – “The Acceleration of Law”
- Remember the Polaroid camera, the microwave?
- It’s about instant gratification.
Unwired Control Freak Generation – We Want to Control Everything
- In a given day, nearly 23 Million tracking requests are received for UPS packages.
- Yoga attendance is up – it’s adult babysitting! We pay an instructor to give us an hour of forced quite time.
There were some great case studies presented during the conference. Here are just a few:
Ecole Chocolat’s founder, Pam Williams, spoke about creating a market for her professional chocolate classes.
- Focusing on accessing a global audience, the company built their community using search engine marketing utilizing both paid and organic search.
- Creative ways to engage with prospective students lead to the creation of a mobile app to identify locations for chocolate shops.
Proximity Canada had Andrew Bailey and John Gagne, present their award winning “Find Red” campaign for the Mars M&M brand. The campaign started and stopped several times along they way, but their persistence paid off.
1) Bring your clients gifts – not presents, gifts of intelligence!
2) Make innovation everyone’s business.
3) Get your unfair share of talent. Keep the right people and have the wrong people get off the bus!
4) Make design KING.
5) Make the tough calls, even if it makes you uncomfortable.
Lunch Discussion Groups
During lunch, attendees could chose to sit at designated tables to discuss pre-set topics of interest moderated by industry experts. Topics included: The Rise of Social Search and Impact on Facebook, Linkedin and Twitter on Search Visibility, Mobile and the Future of Geo-Social Media, Assessing your Marketing Analytics Capabilities and Content Strategies for BIG brands. This was a refreshing way for attendees to engage in lively discussion with like minded peers. Conference attendees made a point at the end of the event to tell Andrea how much they gained from these discussions!
For additional information on the Internet Marketing Conference, read our pre-event article interview with Jim Sterne. Jim is the Chairman of the Web Analytics Association and author of ‘Social Media Metrics: How to Measure and Optimize Your Marketing Investment. The TMMPDX.COM article on “Redefining Community in a Digital World” recaps the panel discussion which included speakers spanning both the non-profit and profit sectors. They had some great insights based on their varied experiences.