We had a few select days of summer last month and in August we are hoping the sun actually stays awhile. No matter the weather, TMMPDX has some great marketing events to attend. Our top 10 picks cover everything from market research to social media.
Want to get out of town? Join Lisa Peyton and Kelly Fitzgerald, at the Social Media Marketing Summit held in San Francisco by the Online Marketing Summit. Use promo code TMMPDX15 for 15% off. TMMPDX team members thought the Online Marketing Summit in Seattle Rocked!
Here are TMMPDX.COM’s picks for the top Portland Marketing Events this month:
1) This is Not Your Father’s Marketing and Research Strategy – Tuesday, August 16th, 5:30 pm to 7:30 pm at Ecotrust Building 721 N.W. 9th Ave, Portland, OR ($25)
Join the master minds of the Public Relations Society of America’s Portland chapter and the Northwest Marketing Research Association on August 16 for deep dive and joint panel discussion exploring the marriage of social media and market research.
What are social media analytics tools that are both quantitative and qualitative? What do social media analytics definitely NOT do? Join this power panel to learn more:
• Steve August, Revelation Founder and CEO
• Chris Robson, Parametric Marketing Principal
• Mike Lehman, Zanthus Research President
• Barbara Kerr, APR, Clark College Executive Director of Communications and Marketing
• Darcie Meihoff, APR, CMD Vice President/Managing Director, Earned Media
• John Jackley, Portland Development Commission Director of Business and Social Equity
Panel moderator will be Mike Riley, APR, Founder of Riley Research Associates. Register here.
As the lines between marketing functions continue to blur and internet-based tools become accessible to a wider audience, market researchers and public relations professionals find their roles overlapping in helping their clients “listen” to what their customers are saying.
To many research purists, social media listening is imprecise and not projectable. The market research industry is currently trying to figure out how to effectively deal with the noise and lack of a “controlled research environment.”
Public relations professionals have honed social media tools and channels, and yet they yearn for the best analytics to quantify intel.
Join us for an intriguing discussion between some of the top minds in Portland from the PR and research industries. You’ll hear them discuss questions such as:
• How do traditional and online research methods/models dovetail with social media analytics?
• How is consumer opinion and feedback best gauged or found?
• What are social media analytics tools that are both quantitative and qualitative?
• What do social media analytics definitely NOT do?
• What are some recent, higher profile case studies that show how research is done on online platforms?
Registration: $25 (pre-registration required)
2) 7 Proven Tactics to Promote your Business & How to Increase the Effectiveness of your Website – Thursday, August 11th, 6 pm to 8 pm, PCC CLIMB Center, 1626 S.E. Water Ave., Portland, OR 97214 (FREE)
Do you own a business in Portland? In this seminar I’ll show you 7 simple ways to increase your revenue. This is what you’ll learn:
- How to rank your website #1 on Google Places, Yahoo Local and Bing Local.
- A proven tactic to promote your business on Facebook Places (you’re going to love this one!)
- The best LinkedIn tactic for service professionalsin Portland (this tactic has helped one of our clients double their revenue in 4 months.)
- How to use FourSquare, Yelp and Groupon to get a ton of new business (I’ll show you how to get people to start spreading the word about your company.)
- An extremely effective tactic to get your customers to come back more often, spend more per transaction and send their friends your way.
- The exclusive package Google offers Portland businesses but almost nobody in town knows about (This is absolutely FREE!)
- Mobile marketing: how you can help your customers find you on their iPhones, Androids and BlackBerries (So they find you when they’re ready to buy!)
After this 45-minute presentation, we’ll have some time for networking over local beer and great snacks.
And finally, Nicole Weber, from SpotColorStudio.com, will be doing the second and last presentation of the evening: How to Increase the Effectiveness of Your Website. She’ll show you:
- How to tweak your website so more people buy your products and hire your services.
- How to achieve a “look and feel” that will engage your visitors.
- How to create effective calls to action so your visitors become customers.
- How to integrate Twitter and Facebook on your site so your visitors share your content with their friends.
- The top 2011-2012 design trends.
- The most effective way to redesign your site so it gets done faster, your save money and avoid headaches.
Registration: FREE (pre-registration required)
Learn how to thrive on Twitter, one of the world’s most popular social media websites. You’ll get signed up and connected with a group of new followers. Learn about hash tags, backchannels, at replies, direct messages, auto responders, and “Tweetiquette.” This workshop is perfect for entrepreneurs, non-profits, job hunters, artists, and anyone who wants to join the conversation on Twitter.
Note: You must have your own working Wi-Fi capable laptop, be familiar with surfing the web and basic computing to attend this workshop.
Questions: Contact David by email or phone 646-415-1692
Registration: $45 (pre-registration required)
A step-by-step setup guide on how to get new customers and increase revenue with smart use of social media marketing sites, including: LinkedIn, Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, YouTube, Podcasts, Flickr, Blogs, Biznik, and other social media sites.
Using a step-by-step training and demonstrations and learn how to implement social media marketing in your business.
1. What is Social Media Marketing?
2. Social Media Marketing Defined
3. Traditional Marketing vs. Social Media Marketing
4. Market Research and Market Demographics
5. Top 100 Websites
6. Top Social Media Websites
7. Demographics for Top Social Media Websites
8. Cost of Social Media Marketing
9. Your website and Social Media Marketing
10. Registering Your Website with the Search Engines
11. Registering Your Website with the Directories
12. How to Social Media Marketing to Grow Your Business
13. Searching for your Social Media User Name
14. Discuss demographics, how to setup accounts and how to use YouTube, Podcasts, Flickr, Facebook and more
15. Using Aggregators to Post to Many Sites and the Same Time
16. Ways to Promote Your Social Media
17. Links to Reference Information
Speaker: Tom Howe has been a practicing attorney for over 25 years and owns two technology companies, including a website design and hosting company. He has written four books (law and software programming) and speaks at legal conferences throughout North America and technology conferences around the world. His practical and entertaining presentation style makes him a highly sought after speaker.
Registration: $20 (pre-registration required)
Deschutes Brewery, Inc., was founded in Bend Oregon in 1987 by CEO Gary Fish. After several years of managing/owning several successful restaurants, he moved to Bend and opened the Deschutes Brewery Public House. In its first year of business, the pub produced roughly 800 barrels of beer. In 2010, Deschutes Brewery produced 200,000 barrels of beer and currently distributes to 17 states and one Canadian province.
Raised in Northern California, Gary was exposed to the beer and wine industry throughout his life as the son of a grower. He received his Bachelor of Science degree in Economics from the University of Utah in 1979 and began his restaurant management career in Salt Lake City.
With a strong philanthropic bent, Gary is also President of Sagebrush Inc., a 501(c)-3 non-profit corporation that exists to help regional charities serve the community. He is a past President of the Rotary Club of Greater Bend, the Bend Chamber of Commerce, the Bend Downtowners, and the Oregon Brewers Guild where he serves currently as a board member. Gary was given the “Community Service” award in 2002 and named “Restaurateur of the Year” in 2003 by the Oregon Restaurant Association.
Don’t miss this exciting conversation.
In today’s business climate, clear and credible communication has never been more critical. Yet, many growing brands struggle with how to position their products and services in an authentic, approachable, and engaging manner. Ask yourself this: if you strip out the big words, jargon, and over-used terminology, is there any real value in the brand story you are telling today to prospects, customers, partners, the media, employees — or even just the corner barista?
If not, join branding and marketing coach Jen Barth, founder of Big Small Brands for an interactive workshop addressing the foundations of brand development and storytelling, and a power-packed writing session to help you get a stronger brand story underway.
NOTE: This is a hands-on writing and editing workshop, building on principles from our “Get Your Story Straight” workshop, to help attendees evolve, edit, and improve on existing Brand content.
Previous attendance is not required, but attendees will need to bring current, or drafted, descriptive content for their business (Bio, “About”, and/or other service/product description details) to the workshop. Additional details and a pre-workshop exercise will be provided upon Registration.
Join Colleen Wright of Search Engine Academy Northwest and get some search engine marketing tips and tactics that you can implement immediately at this free seminar.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is critical to website visibility. Many SEO professionals want you to think it is a big mystery and a difficult, almost insurmountable task. In one and a half hours you will learn some very important tips on Search Engine Optimization that can make a big impact in a short period of time.
You will learn:
- The difference between on-page and off-page factors and how to take advantage of them
- Usability Tips that will keep your visitors on your site
- What tools you can use to help determine the best course of action for optimizing your website
- Why it is important to understand search and where search is heading in the future
- Basic Actionable steps to implement immediately
Registration: FREE (pre-registration required)
Artists and businesspeople alike are increasingly asked to speak about their work in front of a live audience. Your ability to work a room directly relates to your ability to make a professional impact. In this workshop you’ll get a framework, tools, and tips that will change your fear into fantastic. Perfect for anyone who gets anxious about the thought of presenting at conferences, meetings, sales events, etc.
There are no prequisites. You do not need Keynote or PowerPoint for this workshop, but we will discuss these tools.
Questions: Contact David by email or phone 646-415-1692
Registration: $45 (Pre-registration required)
9) Better Smarter Richer: Business Principles for Solo and Creative Entrepreneurs – Thursday, August 4th, 6 pm to 8 pm, Mercy Corps Northwest Office, 43 SW Naito Parkway, Portland, OR 97204 ($20)
Would you like to be financially successful in your creative business? In this workshop, you will learn:
- How to make a living as a creative entrepreneur.
- The crucial importance of using time well
- How to choose the most enjoyable and profitable business possible from all of your ideas.
What is a solo or creative entrepreneur? Someone who makes money from ideas or products that come from their minds or hands AND that work cannot be delegated to someone else. These entrepreneurs want to BE the business and continue to do the production work themselves; they do not want to BUILD a business where they hire others to do the production. Think writers, designers, artists, consultants, craftsmen, photographers etc.
It IS possible to make a living doing what you love. You just need to have focus and a plan.
About the Presenter: Jackie B Peterson, author of Better, Smarter, Richer, is a CPA, business consultant and coach. She has worked with small businesses and creative entrepreneurs for over 30 years. The advice she offers comes from her many years of working with her clients and coaching them to financial success. For the last 10 years Jackie has been a strategic advisor and instructor for the Small Business Development Center of Portland Community College. In that role she has helped hundreds of small business owners gain the skills to create successful enterprises.
Registration: $20 (if pre-registered, otherwise $25 at the door)
10) Oregon Entrepreneurs Network (OEN) The State of Oregon Pitch-Off! – Wednesday, August 10th, 5:15 pm to 7:00 pm, Backspace, 115 NW 5th Ave., Portland, OR 97209 ($15/$30)
Oregon is a big state with many diverse regions, and within those regions, are a wide array of startups and entrepreneurs. OEN has been a catalyst for statewide entrepreneurship including: setting up regional PubTalks, and fostering the establishment of regional investment conferences. This year OEN is celebrating its 20th anniversary. To celebrate this milestone we are putting a spotlight on the success of the statewide outreach by hosting a friendly statewide invitational PubTalk competition between the regions.
Join us at the August OEN PubTalk in Portland to see pitches from companies located in Bend/Central Oregon, Vancouver, The Gorge and Southern Oregon.
Four companies – four pitches – one winner – bragging rights for a year.
Presenting Company Info:
– Whippersnappers (http://www.whippersnappers.com/): Whippersnappers started as a boutique studio concept that operated in a niche market – marrying professional photography and a fantastic experience with the ease, convenience and consistency of a studio location. With studios in Bend, OR and San Francisco, CA, we recognized that our core strengths were in the (a) brand itself, (b) the workflow that drives to (c) a signature style that we know sells.
– GroEasy (http://groeasy.com/): GroEasy designs and manufactures GroBags and soft sided container garden planters for the nursery and horticultural industry. We also offer the soil amendments, fertilizers and watering devices for successful container gardening. Our GroBags let people Garden Anywhere as they can be placed on fences, railings, trees, mailbox posts, sides of homes and more. The GroEasy products are Made in the USA of ripstop, UV resistant fabrics and are reusable year after year. People living in apartments and condominiums or those with todays smaller urban yards can now have a full size garden by growing vertically with the GroEasy system.
– Blue Dog Mead (http://www.bluedogmead.com): Blue Dog Mead is capturing a piece of a $1B market by branding a new generation of drinkers with an alternative category of alcohol. We are bringing back the original liquid sin to help consumers escape the ordinary from wine and beer, mead. Mead is a gluten free honey fermented beverage. Currently Blue Dog Mead is expanding to a new facility in Eugene Oregon to increase production and distribution.
– thedot: thedot network provides schools an all in one social web-planner that rewards educators for posting relevant content. thedot offers a venue in which students, educators, parents & community members can communicate. Our game like platform links educator rewards to the Common Core State Standards. Educators & schools track, manage & report curriculum that aligns with the common standards; an important reporting agent for the Race to the Top Fund. thedot generates revenue from fees & online advertising. A portion of the ad revenue is given back to educators.
Registration: $15 for OEN Member, $30 Non-Member (Pre-register and save. Online registration for this event closes Wednesday, August 11th at 12:00 pm.)
Regional Conferences and Events
San Francisco Event: Social Media Marketing Summit held in San Francisco by the Online Marketing Summit – Monday, August 15th, 8:30 am to 3:45 pm, Marriott Marquis, 55 4th St, San Francisco, CA 94103 and Tuesday, August 16th, Moscone Center West, 747 Howard St, San Francisco, CA 94103, 8:30 am to 5:15 pm ($297)
Introducing the premier social media marketing education event for digital decision makers and social media marketers. Due to unprecedented demand, OMS has partnered with the leading lights of social media to create a standalone educational event solely focused on social media marketing and its integration into the marketing mix. This event will feature intensive workshops, case studies, and all-new material covering the foundational best practices of Social and more advanced tactics of integrating Social into email, search, analytics, demand gen, mobile and more.
Attendees will be looking to discover and experience social integrated marketing solutions across the following categories:
- Social & Search
- Onsite Social Analytics
- Off Site Measurement & Monitoring
- User Generated Content
- Email Marketing Social Tools
- Social UX and Conversion
- Blog and Forum Platforms
- Mobile Geo-local Social Apps
- Twitter & Facebook for Demand Gen
- Content Marketing Strategies
- Social CRM Solutions