December is the month to take an inventory of what you have accomplished in 2011. Need some inspiration as you set your sites on 2012? Attend the 4th annual Digital Marketing Conference put on by the Multimedia Professional Program, part of the Professional Development Center at PSU. Meet industry leaders, listen to Ignite®presentations and attend the digital marketing boot camp. There are plenty of other marketing events to check out this month. Check out the top creative talent at the Portland Advertising Federation Rosey awards, engage in a panel discussion on mobile trends for 2012 and learn about creating a social media plan for non-profits.
Here are TMMPDX.COM’s picks for the top Portland Marketing Events:
1) Digital Marketing Conference , Sunday, December 11th, from 2:30 to 9:00 pm and Monday, December 12th, from 7:15 am to 9:00 pm, PSU Lincoln Hall, 1620 SW Park Ave, Portland OR, 97201. Register: $149 for group sales of 5 or more attendees, $199 for students, $275 general admission through December 9th and $299 after December 9th. Add on Boot Camp for $75 and VIP Luncheon for $45. Sunday kickoff event and Monday wrap party included with registration.
With the theme of “Where today’s marketers connect“, the 4th annual Digital Marketing Conference will span two days with national keynote speakers Marsha Collier and Michael Brito. Presentations by Portland business leaders, a boot camp, and the fast-paced Ignite learning experience. Learn to attract and satisfy customers through digital strategies, social media marketing, search engine marketing, analytics, mobile integration, and other best practices.
Who Should Attend: The conference is ideal for marketers who work at companies and agencies, or who function as independent consultants—from career professionals with digital experience to those transitioning from traditional marketing. The Digital Marketing Conference is a great way to connect marketing professionals and students with new customers, ideas, technologies and business opportunities.
Location: Lincoln Hall (1620 SW Park Ave) on the Portland State campus. The main entrance to Lincoln Hall is from the park blocks. From this entrance you’ll walk right up to the conference registration desks on the first floor.
Kickoff: You won’t want to miss the kickoff event at 6 pm Sunday evening at Lincoln Hall. Join Tom Bennett and Roel Uleners as they lead the audience through an engaging interactive social exercise from The Connected Company’s core methodology – Gamestorming. This is analog, human and energetic. You won’t want to miss it!
The Digital Marketing Conference is presented by the Multimedia Professional Program, part of the Professional Development Center at PSU. The Multimedia Professional Program offers over 50 stand-alone courses and three multimedia certificates.
2) Oregon’s Most Admired Companies Awards Luncheon 2011 , Wednesday, December 7th from 11:15 am to 1:00 pm, Hilton Hotel, Grand Ballroom, 921 SW 6th Ave, Portland OR, 97204. Register: $70 when purchased before November 30th, $75 after November 30th. Tables of 10 are $650.
Who are the most admired companies in Oregon? Come find out! The results are in, and you won’t want to miss the most popular event of the year! The Portland Business Journal conducted a phone survey of CEOs across Oregon and asked their opinions on the greatest companies in Oregon. The results have been tabulated and will be announced at our Oregon’s Most Admired Companies program.
Come find out how they ranked across the following industries: Agriculture & Forest Products, Commercial Real Estate & Development, Financial Services, Health Care, Non Profits, Professional Services, Technology and Traditional Manufacturing!
Be sure to follow this event on Twitter: #PBJAdmiredAwards
It’s the creative event of the year. The one you’ve been waiting for – the annual PAF Rosey Awards. Awarded each year since 1957, the Roseys have come to exemplify inspired creativity and original thinking. This year’s show promises to showcase that work, all of it produced in Portland, the state of Oregon and Southwest Washington.
A new “people’s choice” award this year will be based on votes tallied from the website. What are you waiting for? Vote for your favorite!
4) Face-to-Face with Your Audience: Live Lessons from Henry V, Tuesday, December 13th, 11:30 am to 1:00 pm, Brideport Brewing, 1313 NW Marshall Street, Portland, OR 97209. Register: $20 Student or Board Member, $30 member / $40 non-member by December 9th. $240 for a reserved table for 8.
True or false? You would prefer to see your favorite band perform live versus watching them on TV.
If you answered “true”, then you already know the power of live, face-to-face interactions. This principle is the same when it comes to the marketing of your brand. Organizations that have recognized the power of face-to-face communication with their customers are in a perfect position to gain deeper connections with their audience that will result in increased sales, brand recognition and loyalty.
With their proven expertise in face-to-face event development, Henry V have established itself as a thought-leading marketer that knows how to craft a message for live presentation. Join us for a presentation by Henry V Managing Director, Katja Asaro, as she teaches us how to:
• Recognize opportunities to integrate content and key messaging into face-to-face marketing programs
• Amplify marketing campaigns by using new and innovative experiential tools
• Discover techniques to connect with your audience in a way that resonates with them and delivers results
Learn how to capitalize on your marketing events from Henry V, the Northwest’s largest full-service communications agency!
5) Ask the Experts: Get your SEO, PPC & Website Questions Answered!, Wednesday, December 14th, 5:30 pm to 7:00 pm, Formic Media Inc., 300 NE Failing St. Portland, OR 97212. Register: FREE (Snacks and beverages will be provided.)
For many small businesses, your website and online presence is a key element of your sales and marketing efforts. Are your SEO, paid search, and social media efforts effectively generating awareness, leads or sales? Or, are you just looking for a place to start? An esteemed panel of search engine marketing and website design experts from Formic Media will answer your SEO, paid search, social media and website design and usability questions live!
If your business has a website, submit a URL to the Formic team (first 4 registered websites will take priority) and bring a notepad and our experts will evaluate your website in front of a live audience, providing helpful insights that will improve your website’s visibility, usability and conversion rate. The Formic experts will also provide feedback on your current SEO, paid search or social media presence. So, what are you waiting for? Register now to save your seat, we’ll see you there.
Smartphones are beginning to dominate the mobile world. Mobile advertising spend has hit an all-time high. Consumers are becoming increasingly dependent on mobile sites and applications for instant access to social networking, information, and location based deals and product research. It is critical for businesses to adjust their marketing strategies to accommodate for new mobile trends and shifts in consumer behavior. Join our mobile experts in a panel discussion on the future trends and consumer shifts that businesses will need to meet.
- Dave Shanley, Founder and CTO at CrowdCompass
- Scott Townsend, Marketing Manager at Urban Airship
- Ben Leftwich, Account Executive at Anvil Media
Note: Live web streaming will be available at the time and date of the event for people who are not located in the Portland area. Click here for access.
7) A Healthy Storm: Social media and Health Reform Workshop, Thursday, December 21st, 4:30pm to 5:30 pm, BRIX Tavern, 1338 NW Hoyt Street, Portland, OR 97209. Register: FREE
Join speaker Nathan DiNiro of OpenAffairs.T.V. as he talks about how social media and health reform offer opportunities for both professionals and organizations to participate in the improvement of health
Health reform is a forgone conclusion; whether or not health reform laws introduced by the Obama administration stand up to legal tests, the United States desperately needs to reform the way that care is delivered, paid for, as well as the stake that patients will take in managing their health. As patients continue to find new ways to utilize online tools and social networks to seek out advice on their conditions, research procedures and treatments, or find community with other patients and practitioners, institutions such as government, providers, insurers and employers are also growing their participation in online spaces, trying to encourage better health in their constituents, members or employees.
Whether you are have a stake in promoting better health, or an interest in helping make it happen, we’ll show you where some of the opportunities exist for job-seekers, employers and entrepreneurs.
8) pdxMindShare Joint December Networking Event with SEMpdx, Thursday, December 21st, 5:30pm to 7:30 pm, BRIX Tavern, 1338 NW Hoyt Street, Portland, OR 97209. Register: FREE
Join pdxMindShare and SEMpdx for their joint December networking at BRIX Tavern. A great opportunity to network with your peers one last time in 2011!
Come early and attend #7 on our top 10 list.
9) Social Media 5+3 Workshop for Non Profits, Friday, December 2nd OR Saturday, December 3rd, 10:00 am to 12:00 pm, Sylvan Learning Center, 7809 SW Nyberg Rd, Tualatin, OR 97062. Register: $39.95 per person
Social Media 5+3 Workshop for Non Profits : 5 Things to begin doing in the New Year + 3 Things you can do before end of the year
The 2 hour workshop will cover Strategy, Logistics and Execution. Specifically:
- 5 Strategic hows of social media
- 7 Strategic whys of social media
- 6 Rules of engagement for social media
- 2 Critical things we learned post Haiti with NGO fundraising
About the Presenter
Gunnar Simonsen currently serves as the Director of Social Media for www.HISG.org and has recently traveled all over the world offering his social media course. Gunnar is now offering this course for the first time in North America.
10) Design Basics & Branding Strategies seminar, Thursday, December 1st, 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm, Mercy Corps Northwest, 43 SW Naito Parkway, Portland, OR. Register: Admission is $20 in advance and $25 at the door.
Your business has a story. Effective branding helps make that story compelling to your intended audience. Using the right design elements is key to having an effecitve brand. Would you like your story to attract customers and not break the bank?
Use ideas in this seminar to:
- Explore how branding can help your bottom line
- Create or improve your brand
- Understand the design process and its costs
- Keep your design costs low
- Work with branding professionals
About the Presenter
Award-winning graphic designer, illustrator and writer, Austin Buchholtz is passionate about creating enticing, effective branding to help businesses and non-profits flourish. For over seven years, he has been working in print and web in both Sydney, Australia and Portland.